The following instructions pertain to Ubuntu 16.04 LTS. If you have a different version, please visit docs.microsoft.com for more info.
Enable Online Backup for Ubuntu 16.04 LTS running in Hyper-V
- Make sure you at least have “Backup” enabled in the Integration Services tab for your VM in Hyper-V.
- Using Terminal or Putty, SSH into your VM and run the following commands
- Install the virtual HWE kernel on 16.04, run the following commands as root (or sudo):
apt-get update apt-get install linux-virtual-lts-xenial
- Install these Hyper-V daemons on 16.04, run the following commands as root (or sudo):
apt-get install linux-tools-virtual-lts-xenial linux-cloud-tools-virtual-lts-xenial
- Reboot the Ubuntu 16.04 virtual machine:
That’s it, now you should be able to backup your Ubuntu 16.04 VM with Windows Server Backup while it’s running in Hyper-V.